Microsoft has recently announced a new era of modern work management. The new Project Service – the next generation of Microsoft Project, offers better collaboration, improved extensibility and greater integration than Microsoft Project.
Now, what does this mean? Does Microsoft plan to stop Project Online and Project Server? What is the platform for Project Service? Is it a new and redesigned service being introduced? Would Project Service support existing custom solutions/ applications? Such questions are evident for users.
Key notable points of this announcement are as below:
• Microsoft would continue to deliver performance and security improvements for Project Online
• For Project On-Premise users, Microsoft has released Project Professional and Standard 2019 and will release Project Server 2019 in the next few weeks.
• Moving forward, much of Microsoft’s focus will be on driving innovations in the new Project service.
The new Project Service is based on Microsoft CDS (Common Data Service) for Apps. This is a revamp of entire base architecture. Which means it is a complete re-design of product to meet the changing needs of work management and hence it is being called a new era of modern work management. Using CDS as a platform, the Project Service integrates easily with other tools and systems like SharePoint, PowerApps, Power BI, Microsoft Flow, Office 365, and Dynamics 365.
Benefits of Common Data Service platform are as below:
• Build and consume solutions for web and mobile with PowerApps
• Automate and integrate business processes with Power Automate
• Put all your data to work with Common Data Service
• Gain insights from your data regardless of where it lives with Power BI
• Customize, extend, and build all the apps you need
• Seamless Dynamics 365, Office 365, and Azure integration along with connectors to more than 200 data sources
The revolutionary changes in Microsoft Project with the release of Microsoft’s new Project service have the vision to enable organizations to perform more productively and efficiently with a simple and intuitive range of tools across Microsoft cloud.